Monday, April 6, 2009

P.S. I miss you

81 days down and only 30 more to go! I'm actually starting to get a little homesick. We're in Brazil right now on a group trip, and as usual, it is beautiful. We saw Iguazu Falls yesterday--the second largest waterfalls in the world after Victoria Falls in Africa. They were breathtaking and powerful and awe-inspiring, right there in the jungle with roaring water around us. Ever since I was a little girl in elementary school and we first studied the rainforest, I've wanted to be here. Iguazu Falls is home to the largest variety of butterflies in the world and they were everywhere. We saw giant spiders and quati, cute little animals that look like raccoons but are more like mink. We're going into Argentina today to see the other side of the waterfalls and to get closer to them (Iguazu Falls is the junction between Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. We're going to Paraguay tomorrow).

But even with all of the beauty and the incredible opportunity to travel, which I have always wanted, I'm really starting to miss home. I especially miss my family--most of all my sisters and brother Isaac. It's sad not being there for Chaille's senior year or being there to watch while Isaac's growing up so much and getting excited about things like photography and music. Even though I'm still having the time of my life here, I find myself thinking more and more about the good things that are waiting when we finally get back to the States. I've been planning the garden that I want to plant when I finally get to move into my (very first!) own house in June, and I keep thinking about how I want to take a road trip around the U.S. with my sisters to see all of the beautiful things close to home. The first few months here, I really missed American food and little cultural things. Now those are all starting to blend together as "memories of the United States" in my head and I can't distinctly remember what Papa John's pizza or my dad's grilled vegetables tasted like--I just remember that I loved them. The things that are starting to stick out the most in my head are the people, and I'm finding that I really miss you all a lot. I'm still fully enjoying myself here and cherishing all of the opportunities I'm being given, but the trip is also starting to reach its downhill slope, where all of us are starting to think more about going home again. I really miss you all and love you a lot! I'll write more when we get home from Brazil this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, we miss you too Morgan.But we know you are having a great time and you will probably never get another chance to do something like this. And you will be home in time for Chaille's graduation! Kelsey planted herself a little garden this weekend. She got the flowers in, and she plans to plant okra and pumpkin seeds. I want her to plant some zuchinni too so I can make fresh zuchinni bread. We also planted some new trees and roses.
    We are looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you'll be home soon. I'll even buy you a Papa John's pizza if you want.

    ReplyDelete